Walks and Trails
Bright and Surrounds... A life lived outside! With many choices of formed tracks you will find a walk to suit you in one of our towns and villages. Look at our Walks and Trails Guide for more details.
The walking tracks of Bright are picturesque and showcase the beautiful township, rivers, forests and wildlife of the area. There are many short walks which will show you the natural beauty of Bright and Surrounds.
Porepunkah, a small town located 6 kilometres from Bright, hosts several small shops and a hotel, with the central feature, the magnificent Ovens River.
Historic Wandiligong, located 6 kilometres south of Bright, is registered with the National Trust as a classified landscape.
Walks in surrounding towns & areas
Important Information and Cautions
Weather conditions can change rapidly in alpine areas snowfalls and blizzards can be experienced at any time of the year.
Be prepared with:
• Wind and waterproof jackets
• Warm clothing- hat, gloves and strong footwear
• First aid kit for longer walks
• Energy food and enough water for the day
• Compass and relevant topographical map
• Let someone know before you go and ensure you check road conditions before setting out. Many roads and tracks are closed seasonally during the colder, wetter months for environmental and safety reasons.
For more comprehensive information on the Mount Buffalo National Park and these walks please refer to ‘‘Mount Buffalo National Park; Visitor Guide to the Great Granite Plateau’’ Parks Victoria Park Notes before visiting. These notes outline important information regarding weather conditions and general cautions specific to the Park and can be viewed at parks.vic.gov.au