Porepunkah is a laidback village 6km from Bright on the Great Alpine Road. Built around the junction of the Buckland and Ovens Rivers, it is the nearest town to Mount Buffalo National Park which dominates the skyline to the south. Porepunkah is also the entry point for the beautiful Buckland Valley.
In summer when the rivers run slowly this is a favourite place for families offering a riverpool with lifeguards and a toddlers pool with safe areas to splash, swim, float in a tyre and launch a canoe as well as great BBQ facilities.
There are a number of excellent camping grounds and other styles of accommodation in and around Porepunkah as well as places to eat and drink.
Serving breakfast, coffee and snacks all day, the Rail Trail Café is a great place to stop and refresh on a Rail Trail ride. Porepunkah Roadhouse also has all your needs covered with an extensive takeaway menu or try the bistro at Porepunkah Hotel.
Porepunkah Must Do's..
- Swim or paddle the beautiful Ovens River
- Get pedalling to Bright or Myrtleford on the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail and enjoy superb farm gate produce along the way.
- Get off the bike at Porepunkah and enjoy breakfast, lunch or a snack at the Rail Trail Café: railtrailcafe.com.au
- Soak up the stunning views to Buffalo over a leisurely lunch at nearby Boyntons Winery: boynton.com.au
- Taste a drop or two and soak in the views at the cellar door of boutique winery Ringer Reef
- Visit Mt Buffalo Olives farm gate mtbuffaloolives.com.au
- Indulge in a guided gourmet walking tour with Hedonistic Hiking: hedonistichiking.com.au