- Museums and Collections
Bright Museum is located in the historic old Bright Railway Station, Railway Avenue. The museum has rolling stock typical of that used on the old Ovens Valley Railway.
As well as covering the history of the Ovens Railway Line, the museum covers gold mining history and also covers the social history of the area along with local family histories and a photographic collection. There are displays of artifacts typical of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century.
A large number of Chinese miners worked in the goldfields and the museum has a reconstructed Chinese Joss House based on the one destroyed in the Buckland Valley, as well as a collection of artifacts from Chinese miners. Some of these artifacts are currently on display in the main display room.
Open Saturdays and Sundays 2:00pm to 4:00pm from mid-September to end of May. During school holidays, plus Spring and Autumn festivals the museum is also open Tuesday and Thursday 2:00pm to 4:00pm.
The Bright State Battery at Doughertys Bridge is also open on the last Saturday and Sunday of each month from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm, with entry fee of $2 adults (children no cost).
- Suitable for guests with sufficient mobility to climb two or three steps, but would benefit from fixtures and fittings to aid balance.
- History & Heritage
- Visitor Information Centre
- Public Toilet
- Museums Australia
- Caters for people with sufficient mobility to climb a few steps but who would benefit from fixtures to aid balance. (This includes people using walking frames and mobility aids)
- Museums Galleries Australia
- Australian Museums and Galleries Association