That makes it a great base from which to explore the whole region – for day trips to the snow in winter or during the rest of the year, to experience the myriad special places and outdoor adventures on offer in and around the Ovens and Kiewa Valleys and the spectacular High Country above. Spring is a particularly special time of the year here with mature gardens, many open to the public during the annual Spring Festival, crowded with blooms of dogwoods, daffodils, irises, roses, annuals and everything else in between.
Bright offers an excellent choice of accommodation, from caravan parks to motels to Holiday Units, B&Bs to luxurious guest houses and cosy serviced apartments. The many places to eat and drink range from family-friendly pizza to excellent counter meals at the local pub, yummy coffee and cake, to sophisticated fine dining.
Bright is a terrific place to shop at a very leisurely pace, with dozens of specialty boutiques and other retail stores including two supermarkets as well as regular markets including the Make It, Bake It, Grow It Market on the third Saturday of each month.
The famous Murray to Mountains Rail Trail leads all the way through the Ovens Valley to Bright, making this a mecca for cyclists who are welcomed with open arms at a range of cycle-friendly businesses including cafes, places to stay and bike hire. On two legs is also a great way to explore this lovely place. Bright offers 17 excellent short and longer walking trails around the town. Download the Walks & Trails Guide or pick up a copy of the brochure from the Alpine Visitor Information Centre.
There is a lot to love about this place because apart from river swimming, bike riding, camping, wildlife spotting and horseriding, there’s fly fishing, golf, tennis, croquet, bowls, croquet, bowls and a stack of fun and funky festivals. Go to our events link to find out what’s on in Bright any time of the day or year. Talk to a local at the Information Centre to find out exactly where to stay, what to do and where to eat.
Bright's Top 10
1. See chocolate being made from Bean to Bar: brightchocolate.com.au
2. Cool off in the Ovens River on a hot day
3. Imbibe an award winning boutique ale at Bright Brewery
4. Cycle the easy sealed Rail Trail to charming Wandiligong
5. Experience one of Australia’s biggest showcases of hot rods, custom and vintage vehicles at Bright’s Iconic Rod Run, held each November
6. Admire the mountain panorama from Apex Lookout
7. Discover Bright on foot via the 4 km / 1.5 hours return Canyon Walk
8. Be dazzled by beautiful open gardens at the annual Spring and Autumn Festivals
9. Get airborne – take a thrilling paragliding flight 500 metres above Bright - find out more at: alpineparagliding.com or activeflight.com.au or 2tofly.com.au
10. Soak up the landscape touring in style: brightlimousines.com.au